Millions of women have never heard of estrogen dominance. You will likely never hear it from your doctor unless you go to a private gynecologist or an alternative medicine practitioner.
The first 14 days of the menstrual cycle is dominated by estrogen while the second half after ovulation is dominated by progesterone. If, for some reason, not enough progesterone is produced during this time, the estrogen is unopposed. Estrogen unopposed can create a myriad of symptoms including a greater risk of breast cancer and osteoporosis. In a phrase: Estrogen can be the angel of life or the angel of death.
By the mid-thirties, the estrogen level begins to drop. And while the estrogen drops slowly, the level of progesterone plummets, creating a dangerous ratio of excess estrogen to progesterone. This event is one that can steal the future of women as they age and often take their lives. Some women gain weight called the “muffin top” around the middle and find it impossible to lose weight. Others can’t go to sleep, stay asleep, or wake up rested. And those are just a couple of symptoms.
It’s simple. Estrogen promotes tissue growth and progesterone stops tissue growth. Both are important and can’t function without the other. But, if estrogen dominates, she may go down metabolic pathways that can prove to be problematic.
The solution is to restore the estrogen/progesterone ratio. This is done through transdermal delivery of 20-40mg. of bioidentical progesterone. This is the physiologic dose produced by a woman each day.
Symptoms of Estrogen Dominance include the following:
- Acceleration of the aging process
- Allergies, including asthma, hives, rashes, sinus congestion
- Autoimmune disorders such as lupus erythematosis, thyroiditis, and possibly Sjoegren’s disease
- Breast cancer
- Breast tenderness
- Cervical dysplasia
- Cold hands and feet as a symptom of thyroid dysfunction
- Copper excess
- Decreased sex drive
- Depression with anxiety or agitation
- Dry eyes
- Early onset of menstruation
- Endometrial (uterine) cancer
- Fat gain, especially around the abdomen, hips and thighs
- Fibrocystic breasts
- Foggy thinking
- Gallbladder disease
- Hair Loss
- Increased blood clotting (increasing risk of strokes)
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Magnesium deficiency
- Memory loss
- Mood swings
- Polycystic ovaries
- Premenopausal bone loss
- Prostate cancer (men only)
- Sluggish metabolism
- Thyroid dysfunction mimicking hypothyroidism
- Uterine cancer
- Uterine fibroids
- Water retention, bloating
- Zinc deficiency
Check back often for more information on hormonal balance. I am here to help.and educate, so make an appointment to discuss your hormone balance. Please call me at 760.766.6223 for a no cost consultation.
The list of estrogen dominance symptoms presented above is reprinted by permission of The Official Website of Dr. John R. Lee, M.D., which is located at www.JohnLeeMD.com